Earlier in June 2018, Judge Business School’s Centre for Alternative Finance released the second edition of its Annual Middle East & Africa Alternative Finance Industry report. These are our main 6 findings:
1. The total alternative finance market volume across the region grew by 48%, accounting for $358.87 million.
2. In Africa, the total online alternative finance market grew by 118% to reach $181.56m in 2016.
3. In the Middle East, the overall online alternative finance market grew slower with a minor year-on-year increase of 12% to achieve $177.3m in 2016.
4. Donation-based crowdfunding was the largest alternative finance model in Africa. In particular, funding channelled through online platforms came primarily outside of the Continent and provided by foreign donors and investors.
5. The most popular alternative finance model in the Middle East was equity-based crowdfunding.
6. Regulation remains to be a significant barrier for the development of online alternative industry in both Africa and the Middle East.
Find out more here.
You must be logged in to post a comment.